Guest Join UsHey There,
Now that everyone's preppin, join us!!
Find out how much toilet paper you'll need!
Read about prepping Pre-COVID-19
Find out how to build a tinfoil hat
Surviving on only urine??
Start a car with an egg and black pepper
Escape from a freezer
Evade a hungry charging bear
Much More.. or Create an Account

RED ALERT: COVID-19 Global Pandemic x

Moderators Wanted (Apply Within) x

Previos GRF members, you will need to reregister and READ THIS
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vectorwoman's 2014 Gardens
Vectorwoman's 2014 garden

I live in Wisconsin. I was raised in the deep South in Texas and Louisiana. I spent most of my life in the South till around 5 years ago when I moved up here.

Gardening up here is a whole new ballgame. The growing season is a whole lot shorter and the winters are a whole lot colder. I basically had to learn to garden all over again with different game plans than I was use to.

I have seedlings started in all of my sunny windows. My windows are not as sunny as I would like because our cabin has an overhang of of the roof which lessens the sunlight in the windows.

The weeds on this land are outrageous. I ran across an awesome video last year called Back To Eden.
backtoedenfilm.com/#movie

This man was very successful at using wood chips for mulch. I do not have access to wood chips but have lots of leaves so, last fall I rearranged much of my gardens, and added tires to keep my plants warmer, keep out weeds and raise the beds. I also added lots of leaves for mulch.

I also dug up my 2 year old blueberry bushes and planted them in tires.

I was heart broken one day last winter to discover that there was a 6 foot snow hill plowed over my blueberries. I hope they are not crushed to death. Sad

The year before last, I was given permission from the owner of a local flooring company to dig through his dumpster. I was wanting broken tiles to do mosaic tiling on kitchen counters. There was lots of carpet so I got an idea to put carpet in between the rows to cut down on weeds. It worked great; till the end of last growing season. The carpet started wearing out, and weeds started coming up through the carpet and the weeds were impossible to pull up. I removed the carpet from the gardens last fall before adding the leaves. One thing that worked well when pulling up the carpet was the weeds pulled up with it.

Here are some pictures of my garden last year and a picture of my buried blueberries.

[Image: blueberries_zpsf400f510.png]

This is June 2012;the year I put the carpet down. Behind the garden was a nightmare area full of Canary grass, that was constant battle to keep out of the garden but last year a friend brought a huge farm tractor mower and mowed it down so now it is manageable w/ our small riding mower. I had laid carpet on top of it trying to kill it. Hey I am only one person, disabled and trying to do all this by myself. LOL
[Image: 1garden_zps46b37273.jpg]

This is garden 2. The year before last a farmer neighbor brought me a huge load of manure and dumped it in there for me. You can see the progress of laying the carpet down.
This is in early Spring all that green beside and behind it is that canary grass. That stuff get around 6 feet tall. It all got mowed down last year; Yay! Alan built the back fence out of pallets from behind the flooring store. It isn't beautiful, but its a fence. Hey he can build really cool stuff. He built our log cabin, my chicken coop and goat barn. I don't care if the fence isn't perfect. he isn't getting any younger so I try to not work him any harder than I have to. LOL
[Image: garden2_zps9571fc14.jpg]

This is my green house. It was given to me. It use to be an ice fishing shack. I am always looking for cheap paint and had lots of different colors of paint that were small amounts of each so, I painted it all different colors. That was a job from hell and I will never do that again. LOL
[Image: greenhouse_zps612f68d0.jpg]

I will post more pictures in a moment. My computer tends to overheat and shut down and I do not want to lose the work I have done so far. Smile
Really great thread and garden, thanks. I have to relearn how to post photos now to finish my garden thread. I use carpets too.
This is an owl that got into my green house February 2013. He somehow broke the screen window to get in. The green house was a mess at the time because I was sick that winter and threw a bunch of stuff in there just to get it out of the way. It does not look like that during growing season. LOL I also was not able to finish painting it at that time. Alan built me that table out of pallets; collected from behind the flooring company.
[Image: owl_zps276bc7e8.jpg]

I have to switch over to a different Photobucket account to find more pictures.
Quote:I also dug up my 2 year old blueberry bushes and planted them in tires.

I have read that some people use tires and other say don't do it. I have a few old tires and thing they would be perfect planters. I wanted to try potatoes in them but I read that the tires leach a toxic. Have you heard anything like this?

BTW- I hope your blueberries survive
So far, very good.  Foxy
(04-06-2014, 11:52 AM)Goldiegirl Wrote: I have read that some people use tires and other say don't do it. I have a few old tires and thing they would be perfect planters. I wanted to try potatoes in them but I read that the tires leach a toxic. Have you heard anything like this?

BTW- I hope your blueberries survive
Oh great. I did not even think of that. This is what I found on the Mother Earth News site. I am doing further research into this.

KILL THE MESSENGER!

Do you have any idea how hard I worked last fall to put those tires in my garden?

crap!
(04-06-2014, 03:38 AM)Libellula Wrote: Really great thread and garden, thanks. I have to relearn how to post photos now to finish my garden thread. I use carpets too.

How long have you used the carpet. Mine worked great till the end of the 2nd year.

If you need help posting pics I will help if I can. I use photo bucket but Hiker said they can be uploaded to this site instead. I do not know how to do that yet though.
Here are some pictures of the seedlings that I have started for this year.

I am thrilled that herbs that would not start for me last year are sprouting this year. I stratified them then covered them with plastic wrap. I do not know which thing did the trick but, I will have more medicinal herbs to add to my herb garden, YAY!

[Image: herbs_zps77a63bf6.png]

My tomatoes don't look great but, we have had horrible weather. We got several inches of snow a few days ago. Sad
I am finally able to put my plants outside. Hopefully they will perk up now that the weather is getting nicer.

[Image: bst_zps83925a1a.png]

My Asian peas are just starting to pop out of the soil.

[Image: ap_zps26aadc63.png]

Did you know that you can buy parsley stalks from the grocery store and plant the root part after you use the stalk part? That right. This is my 3rd year doing that and it works great. Some people say that parsley like that tends to be bitter. I use it in my soups and have not noticed a bitter taste but, I slurp it down so I wouldn't.

[Image: parsley_zps953510d1.png]
Hear is a healthier Beef Steak tomato seedling.
[Image: bs2_zps7860ccaf.png]

Here are my poor pitiful San Marzano tomatoes. They are like Romas and good for making sauces. I might have to buy Roma plants from the nursery. LOL

[Image: sr_zpsd9305805.png]

This is a shelf that Alan made for me a couple of years ago. (Ignore the unpainted part. OOPS. I usual turn the shelf with that part facing backwards. LOL

It comes apart making it very handy to bring outside to set my plants on so that they can enjoy full sun.

[Image: shelf_zps14c0727b.png]
This is a neat little hanging shelf that I picked up at a garage sale.

[Image: hangingshelf_zps293e2cd6.png]

This is a section of the shelf that Alan built. Can you tell I like Suiss Mocca coffee? I saved those containers not knowing what I would use them for. They make good little starter planters.
I know what you are thinking, "Dang girl! Do you ever clean your floor?" Why yes, I do. I wish I did before taking this picture. LOL
[Image: shelf3_zps33dc2e0e.png]