Guest Join UsHey There,
Now that everyone's preppin, join us!!
Find out how much toilet paper you'll need!
Read about prepping Pre-COVID-19
Find out how to build a tinfoil hat
Surviving on only urine??
Start a car with an egg and black pepper
Escape from a freezer
Evade a hungry charging bear
Much More.. or Create an Account

RED ALERT: COVID-19 Global Pandemic x

Moderators Wanted (Apply Within) x

Previos GRF members, you will need to reregister and READ THIS
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vectorwoman's 2014 Gardens
I cannot grow sweet peas at all! They always end up stumpy. I know you have to keep picking them to get more flowers but that's about all my knowledge.

I have put in some mangetout peas, but I am not familiar with what you are saying about them growing better after another plant. Where do they fit in your rotation? Peas and beans out loads of nitrogen into the soil which is why you don't pull up the old roots you turn them in when you till.
Thanks for looking into that. The internet is great but it also has so much misinformation. I recall when I was little seeing tires painted with plants in them and that was years ago. I was unsure if the "tire formula" changed over the years but I think I am going to try this.

BTW- you have lovely pictures and i am just itching to start planting. My season starts late and ends early. But I enjoy every moment of the growing season.
I noticed you mentioned Kohlrabi. That is/will be the next rage. The last year or so kale has gained popularity as the must eat in the health crowd. Well, an old farmer I know said Kohlrabi is better for you in his opinion.
(04-07-2014, 05:00 PM)Libellula Wrote: I cannot grow sweet peas at all! They always end up stumpy. I know you have to keep picking them to get more flowers but that's about all my knowledge.

I have put in some mangetout peas, but I am not familiar with what you are saying about them growing better after another plant. Where do they fit in your rotation? Peas and beans out loads of nitrogen into the soil which is why you don't pull up the old roots you turn them in when you till.

I had an awful time with my peas but then I planted them in a planter on the deck and they took off. I was surprised that they only need about 2hours of sun.

BTW- you are talking about tilling in the old roots for nitrogen. This is slightly off subject but have you ever mixed coffee grounds into your soil?
@Goldiegirl
Re. coffee grounds, no not directly, but I suppose I do it all the time indirectly as coffee grounds and the bamboo filter papers go straight into the compost.....eventually they get to the plot!
(04-07-2014, 05:00 PM)Libellula Wrote: I cannot grow sweet peas at all! They always end up stumpy. I know you have to keep picking them to get more flowers but that's about all my knowledge.

I read a while back that peas add something to the soil that helps them grow better the following year. I can't remember what it is. I am not talking about something commonly known such as nitrogen. I can't find the info though.

I do organic gardening so I do not rotate me plants as much as I would otherwise because I do companion planting. For my larger crops such as tomatoes and green beans I do move them around every couple of years, but for peas I have a certain area in which I grow them because I grow them on my back fence.

I am moving almost everything around this year though because I am doing things differently this year.

I have read that if you have the garden balanced out w/companion plants where they have beneficial insects then they will keep the bad insects down.

I also compost my gardens heavily every fall with composted cow manure.

I am no expert though. These are just things that I am trying.
(04-09-2014, 01:26 PM)Goldiegirl Wrote: I noticed you mentioned Kohlrabi. That is/will be the next rage. The last year or so kale has gained popularity as the must eat in the health crowd. Well, an old farmer I know said Kohlrabi is better for you in his opinion.
I grew Kohlrabi the year before last. I like to cut it up like potatoes and put into my vegetable soup.

After it is cooked, you have to cut the hard fibrous outer shell of before dicing it. I did not know this and messed up. LOL

I might grow it again this year if I find some cheap and already started. I didn't have any kohlrabi seeds.
(04-09-2014, 01:30 PM)Goldiegirl Wrote: I had an awful time with my peas but then I planted them in a planter on the deck and they took off. I was surprised that they only need about 2hours of sun.

BTW- you are talking about tilling in the old roots for nitrogen. This is slightly off subject but have you ever mixed coffee grounds into your soil?
I have heard coffee grounds work wonders in the garden. We have been saving out coffee ground for the garden.
Information 
Coronavirus: Inmates could be freed to ease virus pressure on jails

The justice secretary says the virus poses an "acute" risk in prisons, many of which are overcrowded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52029581